Where it’s practical, ceiling and underfloor insulation has been compulsory in all rental homes since July 2019.
The healthy homes standards added new requirements for rental insulation, which took effect on 1 July 2021 for some rental properties, with all rental properties to comply by 1 July 2024.
If you had new insulation installed after 1 July 2016, your rental should already meet the July 2021 requirements.
TIP: do a quick check to see if you need to upgrade your rental insulation here: tenancy.govt.nz/insulation-tool
RENTAL installation BENEFITS FOR LANDLORDS
Landlords can benefit from longer tenancies and reduced house maintenance when they ensure the rental insulation is up to standards, according to the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA). General Manager Residential Robert Linterman says if you look at property sales listings, insulation is increasingly promoted as both a selling and rental point.
“With the Government insulation programmes, people are now very aware of the benefits of insulation. I think tenants are more likely to stay longer in houses that are warmer and more comfortable.”
Insulated houses, combined with adequate ventilation are drier, making them easier to maintain and less susceptible to mould.
Need to upgrade or install RENTAL installation?
We’ve got you covered. From organising an inspection (including coordinating the visit with tenants); creating the Healthy Homes Assessment Report, removing old insulation and doing the rental insulation install. We can also take care of any other compliance work that’s required to bring your rental up to standard.
Forget about having to organise multiple contractors – when you hire us, we take care of the entire compliance process.
G-Force Healthy Homes Solutions offers insulation services in Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Christchurch for Landlords and Property Managers:
- If a home has less than 120mm of ceiling insulation, then this must be topped up, or new insulation installed in order to meet the healthy homes minimum R-value of 1.3
- G-Force offer ceiling insulation services in: Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Christchurch
- Rentals with suspended floors must have underfloor insulation that had an R-value of at least 1.3 when it was installed. The insulation must be in reasonable condition. In most cases, concrete floors do not need underfloor insulation because they are not usually suspended floors or they are above a habitable space, such as apartments.
- The best way to determine the R-value of existing insulation is by using records from when the insulation was installed or by getting an assessment from an insulation professional such as G-Force.
- G-Force offer underfloor insulation services in: Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Christchurch
- Over time, insulfluf or loose fill insulation can break down or become contaminated with things like vermin faeces or urine and other external factors. When it comes to insulfluf or other loose fill materials with formaldehyde, we cleanly suck out the old insulation into a sealed trailer to help ensure a dust-free environment.
- G-Force offer insulation removal services in: Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty (sorry not currently available in Christchurch)
Don’t forget, Landlords that don’t meet their obligations under the healthy homes standards are in breach of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 and may be liable for exemplary damages of up to $7,200.
G-Force Healthy Homes Solutions offers rental insulation services in Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Christchurch for Landlords and Property Managers. Get in touch today
Rental Insulation REQUIREMENTS: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is THE required insulation standard? What does ‘r’ value mean?
Rental Insulation requirements under the healthy homes standards are measured by R-value. ‘R’ stands for resistance – how well insulation resists heat flow. The R-value is a measure of how well a two-dimensional barrier, such as a layer of insulation, a window or a complete wall or ceiling, resists the conductive flow of heat.
The higher the R-value, the better the insulation. Minimum R-values vary across New Zealand and G-Force will advise you on this.
What insulation products does G-Force use?
G-Force Healthy Home Solutions supplies and installs Knauf Earthwool-Glasswool insulation. Knauf is one of the world’s largest and most respected insulation companies, they produce high performing, safe ceiling and underfloor insulation products.
How long will it take to install the insulation?
It takes approximately half a day to install ceiling insulation and half a day to install underfloor insulation. Your G-Force assessor will let you know once they’ve assessed the job.
Do I need a Compliance Certificate for my Rental?
Yes you do. After the work is complete, we will provide you with a Compliance Certificate that states that the work has been carried out in accordance with the building standard for insulation.
Where can landlords find information about whether they need to upgrade or replace the current insulation?
Use this tool to see if you need to upgrade your rental insulation here: tenancy.govt.nz/insulation-tool
G-Force Healthy Homes Solutions offers insulation services in Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Christchurch for Landlords and Property Managers. Get in touch today.